May 3, 2011

Gepida MTB MArathon

Sunday I was racing again. I was on home grounds so I was feeling very confident. I knew the course a bit and I was feeling strong so I was hoping for a podium finish.

I didn't start so fast, I don't like fast start but as I started to wam up I started to get in front. I passed a lot of people on the first smaller climb then on the second climb I passed more people.  I had 3 guys in front of me before the first hard dh section. My front break isn't working right so I pushed hard and passed everybody so I could go full speed down the hill without using the front brake.
It was a lot of fun riding without using the front brake so much, it involved a few jumps and drifts and a lot of speed.

On the second hard climb I had my first energy gel. A few guys passed me before I got back in my rythm after going off the course a bit. The next 10 km were sometimes hard, I started to get tired but I was very motivated so I pushed hard.

After 20 km, before the last climb I reached to grab my second gel but I approached a ditch and fell down hard. I had a few bruises but I got back on the bike fast and I started to push very hard. The last kilometers went by very fast I was going full speed. I was very happy when I finished because I had a very good time, only one and a half hours. Some people even told me that I finished on the podium.

I was very dissapointed when I saw the the rankings... I lost by only two and a half minutes. I was very dissapointed that I've finished only in fourth place :(

Knowing the course a bit helped a lot, but I still managed to get off the course, I think I need to explore those hills in the future.

Stats:
    - time: 01:30:26
    - distance: 27,64 km
    - average speed: 18 km/h
    - max speed 57,7,7 km/h

I hope there will be more pictures because I saw a few photographers on the course

No comments:

Post a Comment